#
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:25 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 64 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: JNC status abused?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:18 pm 

so.

reading posts on here i gotta say i get kinda annoyed.. what qualified as nostalgic? 89 honda preludes or a 91 mazda 626. just because its slightly old and Japanese does not make it "nostalgic" dont exactly fit the bill in my opinion.. neither do just about any car after 86 JUST in my opinion.

I do not want to alienate anyone or create a forum "elites" class. but I don't want JNC to be an abused term like JDM. lets set some standards here folks.

*i have to add that i have a 91 galant vr4 and its rare.. its japanese. but I do NOT consider that a JNC car because its from a different era in my opinion.*

Post subject: Re: JNC status abused?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:07 pm 

People dont really understand what real vintage sheet metal is.

72-87 Civic
84-87 CRX
86-89 Integra
79-87 Prelude
76-89 Accord

Parts, cars, collectibles and more!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:54 pm 

Theres bugger all cars on here after 1990, and most of the time their threads get little attention anyway,
usually just some kid whose proud of his car...

Does it reeeeealy matter?

'79 Honda C50
'73 Honda ST90
Custom Honda Chaly
'85 RX7
'79 B1600

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:56 pm 

It completely matters. What does jdm mean? Nothing anymore it's a loose term. Muscle car guys call everything jdm because its not a defined term because there is so much shit that's JDM, lets not let out love for classic Japanese sheet metal get abused by people with crappy old cars that want to try to convince people it's cool by saying its "nostalgic"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:47 am 

Ill get the pitch forks... :roll:

'79 Honda C50
'73 Honda ST90
Custom Honda Chaly
'85 RX7
'79 B1600

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:52 am 

The general rule on here is Japanese cars 25 years old or more. This has included cars younger than that but which started production 25 + years ago. I understand it's a rolling 25 year thing.
JNC means Japanes Nostalgic Car.
JDM means Japanese Domestic Market.
There's plenty of people on here with younger Japanese cars that they spend time and money on, many of them are hoping to own something older or even JDM at a later stage.
Personally I haven't got a problem with 1988 cars being on here or indeed a '91 VR4 when it's 25 years old but you dont have to put in on if you dont want to !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:02 pm 

so an 88 toyota camry is nostalgic?

It has nothing to do with a headhunt or being mean or trying to be superior, i just would hate to see true enthusiasts get muddled up with a garbage. Ive seen it here and other other websites. yes part of the JNC thing is having cars that are off popularity sometimes and most people don't understand. i just don't think some kid rocking there stock broke ass 89 maxima that's falling apart and because they have an autozone shift knob can call it cool because hes going for the JNC thing. Thats my issue.. its like people who say "i have a jdm intake on my honda" (autzone spectre) like jdm before anything makes it cool... i have a jdm bathmat, i have a jdm paperclip. take a look at my sweet jdm can opener, it opens cans on the right side!

i just wanted peoples thoughts not to start a hullibalooo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:30 pm 

I dont want to get in a fight about it either. I probably wouldn't get too excited about an 88 Camry but I'd like to be proved wrong. Time heals many wounds !
When I was 10 my neighbour bought a new Datsun 120Y Coupe with the Soccer ball hubcaps. I cant remember exactly what I thought but it probably included the words "Sh*t", "Pile" and "Of"...
I'd drive one of them now no problem.
As RedSunday said, you dont see too many 1990's cars on here. Not yet anyway. We are damn close to some R32's appearing though but that does not mean they will actually have a big presence here. People generally seem to realise when they're in the wrong place and there's so many forums out there for each and every car I dont think we are in danger of being over run by cars we dont like (we can all decide for ourselves which cars they might be !)
Fools dont seem to last long on here so I wouldn't worry about it.
BTW, I built my wood shed out of JDM packing crate 3 by 3's so I reckon it's pretty cool, mind you the wood probably came from China or somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:54 pm 
Administrator

Akio wrote:

only if you live in austria

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:19 pm 

Garant wrote:
Akio wrote:

only if you live in austria

And there go the Austrian members...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:25 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Thing is, isnt this the same mentallity that everyone hates with the muscle car/american car guys? I assume they have the same issue with someone buying a nova and doing nothing to it, but wanting to be part of a thing.

I will respect most cars as long as the owner KNOWS the car(chassis code, engine code, etc) and has put some actual work into it. And there are a couple nice 88/89 Camry Alltrac's on alltrac.net and I personnally would see no issue with it being nostalgic. Why, cause they are not common cars that get appreciation. Plus, have you seen how many of those Camry's die from rust? If one is around and in perfect shape, or even rebuild phrase, I will respect it.

It is an interesting topic and your not the first to probably think it. I have seen a few cars on here and wondered why, but anyone who is actually in the "scene" will see those cars at a nostalgic meet and will think "one of these things is not like the others" :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:22 pm 

Whether you like it or not; 25years+ and its a classic car - a nostalgic. Its a credit to both the owner and manufacturer that it has lasted this long.

As 25years is a rolling line, every year there's going to be people whining about how 'new' classic cars.
Like DMK66 said above; when I was a kid, 70's Japanese cars were considered cheap and forgettable - its only as time goes by they've become rarer and more desirable as a result. You may laugh at an 1988 camry now, but when the general public well-and-truly stops driving them, you may well get a kick out of seeing one.

I see car shows/cruises/meets advertised as 'pre-1975' or 'chrome-bumper' only. That sounds more the thing you're into.
..I personally have a thing for 80's Japanese cars.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:43 pm 

Just because you don't think it's nostalgic, does that actually make it so? No. Just because it's falling apart right now doesn't mean that later down the track it'll be a ground up rebuild :) It's all a matter of perspective I guess. It takes a true enthusiast to appreciate all cars for what they are, if you like it or not. Appreciate the time/effort/plans for the car and leave the old mindsets with the "traditional" muscle car meat heads.

Cheers

Bear

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:03 am 

JNC is an all-inclusive forum if you have a Japanese car which production of that model started 25 years ago.

The forum is laid out using complicated algorithms and witchcraft to allow members free choice to peruse the topics/builds that interest them.

If we start defining further what constitutes as a 'Nostalgic' then complications arise.

As an example of this, should nostalgics have nostalgic engines or should nostalgics only be considered nostalgic if they have the original period correct engine?

Akio, you have a '73 240Z but you are running an RB25 and a '78 Cressida with a 2JZ build in progress. Much newer powerplants. I think both are extremely 'worthy' of JNC status but perhaps other members, bent on purity, would have different opinions.

What my father considers a 'classic car' is much different than what I would consider a classic car. The rolling 25 year rule, however, is accepted across the Universe and beyond as a triumphant pat on the back that an old jalopy has survived. JNC simply celebrates this feat in regards to Japanese cars.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:17 am 

in my mind, it's more like 30 years, but that's just me...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:09 pm 

simple solution. dont want to read about a 91 crx? dont click the link.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:14 pm 

derek wrote:
simple solution. dont want to read about a 91 crx? dont click the link.

exactly what i was thinking.

99 SXV20 Camry - TRD Grocery Getter
89 AW11 MR2 Hardtop - SOLD

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:32 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Hear hear!

One man's treasure is another man's trash.

Your definition of JNC is probably different from the next guys - so who's right & who's wrong? Everyone, that's who.

As ToolZ stated...
ToolZ wrote:
If we start defining further what constitutes as a 'Nostalgic' then complications arise...

...What my father considers a 'classic car' is much different than what I would consider a classic car. The rolling 25 year rule, however, is accepted across the Universe and beyond as a triumphant pat on the back that an old jalopy has survived. JNC simply celebrates this feat in regards to Japanese cars.

Do we as fans of JNC want to be narrow minded elitists? Not I!

I may not like Joe Smoe's '88 Camry, or whats-his-name's '74 Datsun with a Mazda engine.... but that doesn't make them any less JNC.

JNC is a Potpourri of cars, parts, years and people.

Crown_mad put it nicely:
crown_mad wrote:
...It takes a true enthusiast to appreciate all cars for what they are, if you like it or not. Appreciate the time/effort/plans for the car and leave the old mindsets with the "traditional" muscle car meat heads.

We of JNC should be above the muscle car meat head mentality and enjoy the cars that the land of the rising sun has delivered to us.

Judge not thy fellow man or his car.
Let us enjoy what we have with open arms.
Peace, Love and JNC forever baby! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:12 pm 

Half of you understood my post/question and half of you missed what I was getting at completely. People can build whatever they want and more power too them. I just don't like the term itself being abused by dipshits trying to fit into something they have no clue about and just want to throw a label on there pos that they don't even attempt to fix. I like a lot of strange cars and can appreciate anything it doesn't matter what year or make it is. And people can post whatever they want that I don't care about its the miss use of a term defining a car culture that I happen to love that's all and I wanted your opinions not your calling me out and being an elietest . Thanks to those that got it

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:32 pm 

people are always going to over use certain terminology especially as it gains in popularity.
it's like a catch phrase sort of thing to toss around.
my question is so what? how can you stop it? you can't.
i know what constitutes as a JNC.
if a 16-17 yr old kid in an EG civic thinks that his ride is "old school" or JNC who is that really hurting?
i might roll my eyes at it b/c it's not a JNC to me, but at least the younger generation is showing interest in japanese steel & that's the only way to keep it all alive & fresh!

btw your post makes you sound like an elitist snob. reminds me of a lot of the MKIV supra guys/corvette owners.

99 SXV20 Camry - TRD Grocery Getter
89 AW11 MR2 Hardtop - SOLD

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 4   [ 64 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next