Pic 1. While stripping the jams I noticed some rust worm under the factory primer. I came across an area that just appeared to have the typical surface rust. After applying a little pressure I ended up with a hole, I was a little surprised. Pic 2, never mind.... minor problem in the scheme of things, welded the hole up.
Pic 1, ran a flap disk over the weld, all gone. While I was at it I checked inside the jamb as well. All looks very clean, why it rusted in that one spot who knows. Pic 2 stripping the rest of the jamb before spraying epoxy over the jamb, all good with no more surprises.
The rear quarters have both been epoxied, I like to leave them for a couple of weeks so the epoxy shrinks right up before going to the next step. Over the couple of weeks I go over the quarters and highlight any defects with a marker, all minor at this stage and should block out. The thing Ive learnt is that you can sit there and stare at a quarter and still miss stuff, I find I pick up more if I look over it on different days. The quarters will get a dust coat and blocked again before being HiFilled. Pic 2, test fitting the clips and stainless trims.
Pic 1, these are the rivets and clips I'll use to replace the missing studs for the stainless trims. Pic2, bottom of the sill needs stripping and a little straightening.
Pic 1, cleaning up and straightening the bottom edge of the sill. Pic 2 flipping the car onto its side to work on the underside.
Pic 1, tweaked the bonnet... pretty much ready for colour. You need a guide coat while blocking to check all the creases and lines. Pic 2, A, B and C Pillars as well as sill in epoxy. What a relief.... opposite side still to finish off. Pic 2, started blocking the quarter to get rid of any highlighted defects.
Pic 1, need to fit the missing studs. Pic 2 C pillar all done.
Pic 1, sill panel nice and straight and clean. Rx3 aficionados will notice I've drilled out the sill trim mount holes so that I can use late model 808 plastic clips instead of the metal clip and screw. Its my belief that Australian Rx3's never had the plastic clips as we never got the late model cars. As to the exact change over date, i dont know.... maybe 76/77 ?? If you look at a early Rx3 and it has large clip mount holes with no evidence of a sill panel change and other things dont look right then you're probably looking at a late model 808 that has been numbered. Pic 2, studs ready to be fitted.
Some dud rivets were in the packet, notice the right most stud. Pic 2, they are fitted using a normal rivet gun.
Pic 1, rivet holes and rivet are dipped in primer before fitting..... Pic 2, You can see some more rust worm even though the primer was intact and appeared to be in good condition, I got carried away a little....
Pic 1, I always intended to strip the wheel tub given the repairs I had done to the tub. One thing led to another and before I knew it I had pretty much sanded the spare wheel tub and boot floor underside
I told you I hate rust, rust belongs on a Ford or Holden, not a classic Mazda.
Next time I think one of my mates will beat me over the head with a body hammer if they catch me doing this again
Probably a good idea to put me out of my "rust hell" missery
Hindsight is a funny thing, next time it'll go to the blasters. Only bonus doing it this way is that I wont have sand falling out of the car over the next 10 years. You'd have to have a pretty convincing story if you ever try and convince me that there is no "rust worm" in your old car. Maybe you have one of the special rare platinum sacrificial metal dipped ones that dont rust. After all that the underside was pretty good
Pic 2, I tried stripping the SuperCheap bitumen that the previous owners splashed everywhere ... litres of the Sh!t everywhere !.... gave up in the end and decided to strip the rear wheel arches. Im going to paint the arches like Mazda did and last thing I want is to have the paint peeling off after 6 months.
Finshing off the doors......... you guested it, Im using a guide dust and long blocks to make sure they are straight. I do sections at a time to make sure the character lines are right.
The guide dust also highlights surface imperfects by going a darker colour. Makes picking up defects a little easier that using a spray can as a guide coat. Both doors are pretty much done, next I'll fit them up to the car to make sure they line up right and do the same with the guards before pulling the doors back off to colour the jams and door shell.
Well there you have it, if I wasnt so fussy and skipped the extra work I would have painted it 3 weeks ago and would be preparing to screw it back together.... I get my patience from watching Mr Miyagi catch flies with chop sticks, its my other favourite past time