#
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:31 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 4   [ 68 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: My '81 Scorpion
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:09 am 

Long time no update.

Dude with the Starion decided to be a shitc*nt and not sell the car to me, apparently not having immediate plans to restore it made me a dreamer :roll:

Anyway.
G54 is on the stand in the shed, ripped it apart to discover shagged balance shaft bearings and a couple broken rings. No bore damage though, thankfully. Bores are bloody brilliant, no wear lip and there's still a faint crosshatching from the last time it was re-ringed. Standard size, too. Gonna be able to get away with just a re-ring and a hone, which is always nice.
Balance shaft eliminator kit, new rings and a hone, come at me. Should be running soon.

Oh, attempted to weld up the front half of the exhaust as well. It's basically a set of 4-2-1 extractors with a 2" in/out 18" hotdog (stole it from an N13 Pulsar with a ghey cannon, lol) welded to the end, and a slip joint welded to the end of that to attach it to the rear half of the exhaust, which will be stock for now.
Didn't *quite* work. Birdshit welds aside it's held together fine, no holes or anything, but there's a bit of cut/weld required so it lines up right. As it stands, the aforementioned slip joint is about 30mm below where the stock flange would be. Will get onto that this weekend.

Gonna stick to this plan, it's a good one. Somebody deliver a resounding e-slap if I deviate from it.

-Rebuilt Astron I, deleted balance shafts, matchported intake, 34ADM, dodge up an airbox setup using a carby hat, a few silicone bends and whatever airbox I can get to fit where the overflow is, extractors, my dodgy exhaust.
-Give the gearbox a birthday. New shifter bushes, oil, seals etc.
-Cut EF Falcon front springs, Monroe GT-Gas shocks (front), '78-'80 Lovells lowered springs, Magna wagon shocks (rear)
-Inside, stock seats, nice, dishy 340mm Momo tiller, HKB boss kit.
-Outside, fix the rust, GK GSR boot spoiler (matte black), Mk1 Golf lip.
-14x6 +17 Fortrans, 185/65 tyres (front), 14x7 +0 Centrelines, 185/65 tyres (rear)

Was REALLY hoping to have this done in time for WTAC, but that didn't happen so I'm going to aim for Wakefield matsuri instead. Also wanna have a go at Huntley in November.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:34 am 

Soooo, work downsized and didn't see the need for 3 TA's, so guess who got the boot... :roll:
Anyway. Couple copypaste updates.

Quote:
Progress. Dirty engine bay is dirty.
Sister's boyfriend and I got stuck in and put the 2L back in it, just to get it driveable so I'm not just looking at it sitting all the time.

Needs brake fluid+bleed, trans oil, hook up the tailshaft, exhaust, few other little things then it'll be sweet.

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 5296_o.jpg

Quote:
Drove this today. Needs a wheel alignment, interior's still in a million pieces and had to take it easy because it's missing the flywheel dustcover and battery clamp, but still. Feelsgoodman.jpg

Quote:
Got it going day before yesterday, was excited as a fat kid that's been given an extra serve of cake lol.

Making exhausts is a PITA. Now has unknown-brand 4-2-1 extractors and a 2" exhaust with a 14" hotdog and a spanking new OEM rear muffler. Sounds good, nice and throaty but not too loud.
Need to fix the throttle pedal (is idling at 1.5k due to a dodgy idle fix I did when I first got the car), do the timing properly, re-solder the connections on the reverse gear sensor, reassemble the interior, find some exhaust clamps and a few other little things and it SHOULD be registerable. Should being the operative word, lol.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:52 am 
Administrator

car came with 1pc or 2pc tailshaft?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:28 pm 

1pc.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:02 am 

Just read through this thread, holy smokes I talk some shit. lol

Anyway. Have another copypaste update.

Quote:
The car goes surprisingly well for what it is, I'm honestly surprised. Lights up the rears with relative ease in 2nd on gravel, and gets moving a lot quicker than it ever did with the bunky old 2.6, or my paltry efforts at a hot 2L.

Engine's one a mate built for his Lancer a few years ago, made 142hp@6100rpm on his local TAFE's engine dyno with dual 44's so it's not exactly your average shitbox Sigma engine. He never ended up using it past the initial running in, ran with a hot 1600 he got cheap off an old rally guy instead, so it just sat in his shed until I picked it up last month. Stuck a standard intake on it, slotted in a 2.6 dizzy (Lancers have different dizzy plugs to Scorpions), hooked it up, fucked around with the timing for a bit, wound it over and it ran like a swiss clock, apart from that tappet rattle that all Mitsubishi engines from 4G30 to 4B11T seem to have. Could do with a less restrictive intake, bike carbs, dual 40's or some shit, it runs out of puff around 5500rpm so it's definitely being strangled. Could get an adaptor made up and run EFI, dunno yet.
Made an exhaust for it as well. Was a pain in the arse to make, had to do some cutting and welding so it went where it was supposed to, but, surprisingly, it turned out pretty well in the end. Unknown set of 4-2-1 extractors straight into a 2" in/out 18" hotdog, then 2" straight back to a stock rear muffler. Sounds good, surprisingly. Not too loud until you hit ~3.5-4k, gets a bit raucous after that. Not terribly so, but I imagine it's going to get annoying on long trips. Especially considering that it's going to be sitting on about 3.5k at 110 with the 4.6's in.

Transmission's just a rebuilt narrowblock short-housing Mitsubishi 5-speed from a GE Scorpion I had sitting about. Clutch is a Daikin heavy-duty jobbie, it and the flywheel are from the same car I pulled the gearbox from. Diff's stock bar a 4.667:1 CW&P from a 1.8L manual '83 Express van, open centre and all.

List, everything that I want done for it to be finished:

Find another exhaust clamp
Flywheel stone guard/dustcover thingamajig
Re-solder the reverse sensor wiring (broke the wires off the sensor while I was screwing said sensor into the gearbox, FML)
Wheel alignment (x34977634958735893475, didn't bother to keep track of where it was set when I did the tie rods so it wanders a bit)
Front ride height
Money
Rego
34ADM, then 36mm CV's/40mm Webers/Dellortos/Mikunis/whatever/2x32/36 on a factory downdraft manifold
Locker
Skids
Starion struts, shortened, R31 shocks, lowered springs
Starion brakes
Fix rust
Paint, will probably go with white
14x7.5/8J Hoshinoes, 185/60's

How the car sits, as of 1/10/12:

Engine: Rebuilt JDM 2.0L G52B, balanced everything, No.3 works copy cam, beehive valve springs, head shaved 1mm and ported, standard 2.6 carb+manifold, unknown 4-2-1 extractors, 18" hotdog, 2" back to a standard rear muffler

Drivetrain: GE Scorpion short KM132, Daikin HD clutch, 4.667:1 diff gears

Suspension: Chopped Falcon springs, Monroe shocks (Chrysler Centura, front), GE/GH Scorpion Lovells Low springs, Monroe shocks (rear), red poly bushes (because red goes faster )

Brakes: Stock, new Repco pads

Wheels: 14x6 +17 (f), 14x7 +0 ®, 185/65 tyres

Interior: Momo dished tiller/HKB bosskit, Panasonic head deck, 6" Sony speakers

Body Work: GE/GH guards/beaver panel/bonnet/indicators

Estimated Power: I dunno. Allowing for intake restriction and drivetrain losses, maybe 100rwhp? Feels similar to a bigport KE70, has heaps more torque though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:04 am 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiGhA3oDffk&feature=plcp

lol.

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt29 ... M_0789.jpg
http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt29 ... M_0805.jpg
http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/tt29 ... M_0806.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:52 am 

Alright. How does one rape mode-proof an Astron? I plan on giving this thing a particularly hard time at the Aussie matsuris over the next 12 months or so, so I'd rather not have to book a tow from several hours/a couple days from home.
I'm not particularly worried about the engine itself, it's built well. More the external bits and bobs, so cooling system, maybe an oil cooler etc.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:47 pm 

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 4   [ 68 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4