#
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:13 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 37 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 1984 MX63 Cressida 5MGE to 7MGTE (picture heavy, new member)
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:44 pm 

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, though not to JNC or Toyota's.

I have been building an MX63 over the last 4.5 yrs.

Why so long? 5 layoffs, 4 girlfriends, 4 house moves, 2 kids and a high standard. bleh.

Anyways, I wanted to toss up some pics. It's actually pretty close to being done, maybe a few weeks away. All work (engine rebuild, fab work, etc) done by myself except the exhaust from downpipe back.

Anyways, I have a TSRM for X63 and X73 so I am happy to help anyone that needs it. I have met a lot of people who treat knowledge of their build as sacred and aren't keen on sharing. I am not that person.

Enjoy!

Start:

First pair of Stance GR+Pros on an X63

Rear trailing arms modified for standard 5.5" aftermarket coils:

After I got the engine running:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vOxxBoGeYM

and when I took it for a spin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u08QmCwtq4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:46 am 

Bad. Ass.

Looks friggin' awesome. Bad friggin ass!

Cannondale R1000 - Daily

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:24 pm 

Thats awesome!! Im picking up a mx63 tomorrow. I will probably have a ton of questions for you suspension wise..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:35 pm 

fivehunsky wrote:
Thats awesome!! Im picking up a mx63 tomorrow. I will probably have a ton of questions for you suspension wise..

Beware; there are VERY few parts which actually bolt on. Most items I have are one offs.

7M swap is about the same as Celica Supra 7M swap; 5 speed swaps are easy. Front suspension is tough; either basic ground control stuff for $200 or my route which is much much more. Rear suspension I couldn't find anything, which is why I modified it to work with most aftermarket american springs (NASCAR spec, 5.5" x 9.5")

5 lug swap in front is probably do-able with X8 parts or converting to S13. Rear 5 lug is damn near impossible. Otherwise, find some 15 or 16's to keep you happy. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:40 pm 

OH NOES!!! :shock: :twisted: :tu:

current project: 82' s11 200sx (ka24e swap)
current daily: 89' integra RS 5-door

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:43 pm 

Im aware of the one off situation. Luckily I do some work at a local race chassis shop so I can get alot of stuff fabbed there for cheap. The owner, is a datsun fan so he helps me(and some other guys on here) out alot with fab stuff.

Yeah.. Ive got some advan sa3s to use on the street with some 4 to five lug spacers. I will probably buy back my sportmax's for when it gets tracked.

I already have everything to do a ground control style coil setup in the front. minus inserts. I read on here that you can use the 90's mr2 rear inserts in our stock fronts and they fit but are shorter. Works great for cutting the strut down. I hope its true because I dont want to have to look through a shock book for an hour to find the right insert for my needs.

I will probably do something similar to your rear setup as well.

It really bugs me about the no 5 lug option. I might find out about redrilling the hubs or something tho just because I want more brake and wheel options.

Question for you.. do the mark 3 supra seats use the same pattern? I found a nice set that match my interior for cheap and I was wondering if you have looked into that at all..

Anyway, your car looks great. Mine will probably look very similar with probably a blue two tone with the white on top.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:55 pm 

Redrilling the rears to 5 lug isn't possible. The shape of the stub axle resembles a cloverleaf, so there isn't room for new bolt holes.

Shorter MR2 shocks are a popular option for the front if you choose to cut the struts down. Ford Focus front shocks are nearly identical for our rear, which is popular for the MK2 supra guys since you can get a KYB AGX to have some adjustability.

One MAJOR problem with X6 (and X7) rear suspension is that shorter springs will FALL OFF THE CAR if it un-weights. I am installing limiting straps in my design like WRC and prerunners.

If you look closely, there is nothing actually holding the spring in place. Stock spring uncompressed is something like 15" long. If you jack up the car and measure the spring though you'll get something like 14" because the axle is keeping the trailing arm from dropping too low and letting the spring out.

If you put in a shorter spring (say 10"), and then jack up the car the springs will fall out. This happened to a friends X7 in Chicago. He was at the track, hit some bumps sideways, rear end bounced and spring CAME OUT.

Short answer: Limit straps, roughly $30 each will make you much safer.

As far as seats go, I am not really sure what shares the bolt locations. I am probably going to pick up some used Skyline seats from a friend and have them reupholstered to match the stock interior.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:22 pm 

Thanks for the info

:tu: :D

What about sway bars? Does anyone make them for the car? or are there any cheap swaps that work? Or have you even looked into them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:28 am 

A company named Addco makes sway bars for it, surprisingly enough.

Front:
1.125" Dia.

Rear:
.75" Dia.

Summit racing, Jegs, etc. are dealers for Addco so you can actually order from them.

I am running 10k front, 9k rear springs so I don't think I will need to upgrade my sway bars. If I drop the rates down later on I may get a set but I don't know what the lead time is.

They also make endlinks, but Energy does as well (universal style)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:09 am 

Awesome!! Im glad you posted up on here. Your saving me alot of trouble haha..

After looking at your car I am more excited about mine now..

I was pretty stoked before lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:40 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Sweet work!!! I will soon be swapping a 7M into my 83 5M powered supra. I will mos likely be hitting you up for some wiring help. Why 7M instead of 7MGTE? Easy, the 7M was basically free and is in good shape/new headgasket. Plus it came with a MkIII supra, which is donating the 5 speed to my MX73 and the LSD to my buddy's MX83!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:28 pm 

Looking really good sir!...Loving the fab!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:12 pm 

yeah man your fab work and welding are top notch....thats a killer looking cressida

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:07 pm 

"4 girlfriends" !!! :lol:

great build. I like the fabrication you did on the dashboard gauges. We have similar dashboards, mine is a 1983 Crown, the Cressida's bigger brother.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:43 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Very sick. I've seen a few pics of your car on jzxp, but didnt know what all it had done to it, good work on the suspension, and I could eat off the 7m swap.

Any plans for the body?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:40 pm 

shane_lxi wrote:
Very sick. I've seen a few pics of your car on jzxp, but didnt know what all it had done to it, good work on the suspension, and I could eat off the 7m swap.

Any plans for the body?

Things I might do later on: Shave the rear fender turn signals, make aluminum sideskirts, get another stock front bumper and section it to make it smaller (not crashbumper style), front lip. Eventually, paint.

OkieRA29 wrote:
Sweet work!!! I will soon be swapping a 7M into my 83 5M powered supra. I will mos likely be hitting you up for some wiring help. Why 7M instead of 7MGTE? Easy, the 7M was basically free and is in good shape/new headgasket. Plus it came with a MkIII supra, which is donating the 5 speed to my MX73 and the LSD to my buddy's MX83!!!

I have a lot of wiring stuff written down, don't know how close mine is to a MK2 supra. The 7M really only needs 5-6 wires spliced in my case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:41 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Maybe an aftermarket 86 bumper could be modded? I mocked one up on my x7, it was about 1.5" too wide, but otherwise would have been an easy fit. Might be a good option, x bumpers notoriously suck for fmic :P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:58 am 

Yeah, I had thought about an 86 bumper. Stock one isn't bad, and my IC sits above it.

I will need to put some mesh in for the recessed oil cooler though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:10 pm 

Finished the rear suspension, welded the diff, painted.

YES I know those are seatbelts being used as limiting straps. I'll fix that later, but for now it works. I can jack up the car and the springs don't fall out of the car.

Painted that damn catch can. I couldn't stnad looking at that polished shit; it stood out too much.

Repainted the calipers gold; I think it looks better with the wheels.

Removed the passenger side outer headlight; made a mesh cover and top plate, now it's a funnel to the intake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:45 am 

this is just aw inspiring.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 37 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next