#
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:38 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 5   [ 82 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: 1969 Toyota Corona RT52L
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:58 pm 

I'm sure some saw this recently on eBay...I was the only bidder! Car arrived today. The body is in excellent condition. A little bit of surface rust along the door jams. What I thought was interior rust is actually spray-on glue from recarpeting.

Interior is a bit ugly, was probably reupholstered in the 1980s. Only advantage is it is some kind of fuzzy fabric, which is better in the Arizona sun. But all that will be redone at some point. A lot of the interior carpet looks original, kind of a mint green. The wiring is a mess. The previous owner had a new stereo in it, so there are wires hanging out everywhere. I already removed the rear speaker boxes, as the fabric was turning to dust. Will remove all the extra stuff and rewire. I guess the odometer doesn't work, but I haven't had a chance to inspect. Turn signals work, but can't check all the lights until the sun goes down.

Engine is super clean, but the car has been sitting for almost 2 years, so it needs starter fluid sprayed in the carb to get it going, and it dies after a minute or so if I don't have my foot on the gas. just need a good cleaning and tune-up. But under the hood it looks practically new under the cobwebs.

A few other odds and ends need some repair, like the corner window knob on the driver's side doesn't work, but it feels like maybe just a rod is undone or something because the window opens and closes freely. The passenger side lock is a bit off...at first I thought it wouldn't lock, but you have to make sure the inside door handle is pushed down for it to lock.

Also it sits super low to the ground (on purpose, I guess), so at some point I will replace the coils and leaf springs. The brakes are super hard as well, but it's probably all dried up.

But overall it's in great shape! Will be a slow project, particularly with summer coming on here. Already 90 today, was sweating and overheating cleaning out the interior this afternoon.

Some Polaroids! I will post more digital details soon, and try to keep up with my progress here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:08 pm 

wow, I had no idea you were interested in rona's sean........ :D
Looks like there are a few Polaroiders here.
Just the typical sun damaged arizona car? while we get the complete opposite with moldy cars in the NW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:18 pm 

oh very nice! are you the same moominsean on flickr? love the polaroids!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:50 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Nice machine! Polaroids too. Heaven on two counts. I look forward to seeing the detailed results of your work. Ganbatte ne! Neko.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:14 pm 

Yup, same moominsean...

More shots from day one. This evening I started on the electrical. Used to be a security system, so I took out all the extra wires and missing stereo wires, as well. But these are just some intro shots...

and a vid of the thing! No idea how to embed, so here is the link...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xQ4esRD2SA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:48 pm 

not bad for 2k.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:40 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Ever since my family drove an RT40, I've loved that kana トヨタ font. I want to see you turn it into this:

Maybe with a 16-valve, 2.0L, twin-cam? Enjoy! Neko.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:51 am 

Yeah whenever i get around to repainting, it will be pearl white or silver probably.

Today got the thing to idle without dying and drove it around in circles...then the battery dies. I figured it would since it's probably 2+ years old and wasn't regularly used. So went and got a new one. Cold start still needs starter fluid, but once the car warms up it restarts right away. Still will steadily idle slower and slower until it dies. But I haven't messed with the carb or anything yet.

While driving it around, I noticed that there is no speedo needle! Or maybe it is there but not getting power so it never appears.

Electrical system a bit of a mess. Headlights and speedo/odometer not working. But wipers, break lights, turn signals and some dash lights work. Will have to sort everything out. Some of the fuses look a bit shady so probably need to swap those out. Removed quite a bit of extra wire underneath from a radio and security system that are no longer there. Took out some parts for cleaning. Previous owner had cut holes in sides along the base for speakers. Will probably cover all that with whatever carpet I choose, most likely black (plan on redoing the interior black).

and another walk around vid with the engine idling...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI03Q-qcbJ8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:46 pm 

Here is something to consider too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:41 pm 

Yeah i like the rear spoiler, considered that. If I do the fender mirrors, I'd really prefer the original skinny chrome mirrors as opposed to the modern bulkier mirrors.

Will worry about getting everything working and clean up the inside before I start on the exterior...which is in excellent shape anyway so no rush.

Watanabes are cool, as well, but I really like the stock hubcaps! Next set of tires will be without the whitewalls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:57 pm 

That is an absolute beauty, and a bargain too.

People would kill for one of those over here in Australia.

Shall watch for updates with interest!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:20 am 

Taking apart the dash to clean and repair.

The radio is a bitch to get out.

The book I have says to remove the top and bottom fascia and then unbolt. Well, that doesn't make any sense. The padding around the sides doesn't seem to come off. There are bolts behind to remove the entire face, including the heat controls, but on the drivers side I will have to remove the instrument dash to get to them.

Someone replaced or fixed the glove box door, will have to replace that someday.

I though this was odd. The passenger side defrost doesn't connect to anything. Not that I will need defrost in AZ, but I can't figure out where it was supposed to go...somewhere to the drivers side I guess. But the driver's side defrost seems to be connected under the dash.

Random wires going to the glove box and door, as well, none of which work. Will trace all of them back and check bulbs, etc.

Also, the previous owner removed whatever was below the dash to put in a radio, so now it's just an open area. Anyone have a photo of what the original dash looked like?

and no idea what the red and green wires are for. Disappear into the same hole that the antenna wire goes to. And under the hood all the wires are green and red!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:31 am 

The red and green wires are for kurisumasu...duh :lol:

What the hell camera did u take the Polaroids with? An old Type 88 or something? Where do you even find film?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:47 am 
JNC Enthusiast

BigSteve wrote:
The red and green wires are for kurisumasu
Yeah, maybe the previous owner got an electric aerial for xmas?

moominsean wrote:
The passenger side defrost doesn't connect to anything. Not that I will need defrost in AZ, but I can't figure out where it was supposed to go...somewhere to the drivers side I guess. But the driver's side defrost seems to be connected under the dash.
Looks like the heater box is missing a few pipes? The round holes here would dump into the cabin, just like the lower vents would. Unless they are the intake? Cannot recall! Run the heater selector (still connected I can see) and you should see the inside flap move up and down to direct air accordingly? Neko.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:47 am 

Yeah I kind of realized what the red/green wires were for after posting. Most probably electric antenna. Will just replace that with a regular antenna, though I can buy an electric one. I don't care about that, though.

And you are right that the defrost probably connects to the heater under the console. Heater works, so will check where it connected.

Also figured out what goes in the empty spot in front of the heater unit. Above was a cigarette lighter and below is called the "louvre" in the book, which looks like vents.

The little corona logo to the right of the radio would have been an optional clock. Also have seen a dash without a radio and there is a "Corona" filler plate there.

Putting out some online searches for dash components.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:48 am 

BigSteve wrote:
What the hell camera did u take the Polaroids with? An old Type 88 or something? Where do you even find film?

Oh, and I used two cameras... a Polaroid 190 and a Mamiya Universal with 50mm lens (the wide shots) and a Pola back! I buy my film on ebay, have a fridge full of the stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:30 am 

Awesome car!

KE15 SL Sprinter - KE10 Corolla - TA22 Celica - KE35 Corolla Club Racer - AE71 Corolla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:29 pm 

The accessory AC unit was sometimes installed in the glovebox areaon these models. I can't seem to find any pictures of this install on the net right now. It may have been removed at some point which would explain the ducting and also the "home made" looking glovebox door you have right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:14 pm 

Some of the examples I've found of the interior to help me...

Looks like a lighter and ashtray below the heater controls. a few variances in texture and placement, as well.

I would think that the side vents aren't original (mine are round), but it looks like two different example of that other style. Though who know what changes were done in different markets and year to year.

Far as Skorj and I can figure, this 1968 Japanese model is closest to the 1969 US coupe. Body looks exactly the same and even has the US style console.

Except for the vertical grain on the dash wood, it looks like an exact mirror image of mine.

markfin wrote:
The accessory AC unit was sometimes installed in the glovebox areaon these models. I can't seem to find any pictures of this install on the net right now. It may have been removed at some point which would explain the ducting and also the "home made" looking glovebox door you have right now.

Something to consider, though the original glove box is there...just the door was replaced.

Also, the glove box is lined with some kind of spray on soft stuff, like a velveteen stuff on the cardboard surface. Problem is it's basically black dust at this point. Any ideas what to coat this with that will look decent and keep the nasty dust in control?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:13 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Quote:
Problem is it's basically black dust at this point.

In some places this is called 'flock'. It used to be available in spray cans from art supplies stores in a variety of tasteful designer shades. A technique I have used previously is to vacuum the old stuff off with a genki vacuum cleaner nozzle movement, then to re-flock.

It depends too on the state of your 'box'? Wet, distorted, torn? Was it compress molded or cut and folded? Cut and folded boxes can be remade with a HD stapler and the appropriate Nelson board. Use the old one unfolded as a template.

Re-flock in accordance with your desire for originality and level of taste.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 5   [ 82 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next