#
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:09 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: My 70 corona MkII ***Updated with more pics***
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:47 pm 

I have a 70 MkII and thought I had a rod knock. I pulled the 8rc out and bought a 78 or 79 corona with a 20r and 4spd manual trans.

After I pulled both motors. I found that the torque converter on my MkII clunks around when I shake it. Is this normal for these cars? I have had 300zx's, 240sx's, cadillacs and none of their torque converters have done this in fact they dont make any noise. I think this could be the knocking I was hearing when my car was running!

There are too many differences in the 8rc-20r to make this swap worth while. The carb and intake mani are on the other side thus making he kick down for my auto trans nearly impossible and not to metion the mounts would require some massaging. I would like to put my running 8rc back and drive the car unil I find a good 1st gen rx7 and use it to swap the rotary 5spd into the MKII.

Does anyone know what automaic transmission came in the 70 MKII? I believe it to be a a30. But am not sure. Also does anyone know where I can get another torque converter?? I have looked online and the local parts houses dont sell them.

Here are a couple of pics of it as it sits.

Last edited by jrb1449 on Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:20 pm 

I have 3 MK2's. please do not install a Rotary into it... 18RG will be the way to go. enjoy the ride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:24 pm 

Where would i buy an 18rg?

I can get an entire running rx7 for around $500.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:01 am 

more pics of the whole car when it's back down on the ground, please! :D

'85 DD GT-S - '76 TE31 - '76 TE-wagon - '77 mystery car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:10 pm 

I will take some more pics after I get this thing cleaned up. I just put some carpet in it and seats. I got it as a rolling shell pretty much. I just put the gas tank from the 78 corona in it. The wheels are oldschool center line/ssr knockoffs. Fronts are 15x8 -0, and the rears are 15x9 (not sure but think like -12 maybe lower??). I am going to use spacers on the front and will be picking up some flares soon.

I have been working on this for what seems like forever.

I now have the motor (8rc) and automatic trans back in and running but it is still noisy!! IDK if it is the trans or the motor. I am going to check the cam bearings as the rod bearings looked fine. I am also going to adjust the vales and hopefully this will quiet it down.

I am getting really tired of working on this thing and may just buy another 8rc/18rc and auto trans just to get it over with.

Arrrrgggg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:34 am 

So I picked up a 73 Corona Deluxe 4dr that was running and driving before being totaled out when the owner rearended an old woman that he says cut him off.

He says it ran great up until the accident. I sure hope so!!

This one has an 18rc with auto trans. I am going to throw it in tomorrow and hopefully it will run fine.

I am fairly sure the noises from my stock 8rc are comming from the valves/valve seats in the head. I read that this is common on the 8rc heads. I just dont feel like messing with this one anymore. I scored this 73 for $350 and it was in terrific shape before it was hammered.

Heres a couple pics of the carcas I picked up for the motor and trans still in it. (gonna suck cutting it out)

Post subject: Re: My 70 corona MkII need some help.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:00 am 

jrb1449 wrote:
Does anyone know what automtaic transmission came in the 70 MKII? I believe it to be a a30. But am not sure. Also does anyone know where I can get another torque converter?? I have looked online and the local parts houses don't sell them.

There is a PDF in this post:
http://www.toymods.net//forums/showthread.php?t=45016

That has information on automatic transmissions and fitment in older Toyota vehicles.

It is all in Japanese.
I hope that isn't too much of a problem...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:04 am 

So it turns out it was the transmission that was making the noise. I replaced the engine with an 18rc and auto transmission and it ran really well.

I have since dcecided to go ahead and swap to a 5spd. The auto is cool but it is very slow.

I pulled a 5spd from a 77 Toyota pickup. I also used the hardline, master cylinder, and slave cylinder from the same truck. I got a new clutch kit and flywheel for a 77 pickup and it all went together well. I had to rework the transmission crossmember as well as the brake and clutch pedals that I pulled from an RA20 at Picknpull.

It should be completed tomorrow and it should be much better. I will also have new picks soon. I picked up some new tires and had them mounted as well.

Smartcar tires:
175/55 r15 on a 9" rim (rear)

165/50 r15 (front)

I still have to lower the rear. Also I still have to pull and stretch the rear fenders out. I want to run these with out the use of add on flares. I think they take away from the look of the car. :wink:

We will see. Will have some more pics soon.

Josh

Post subject: Re: My 70 corona MkII need some help.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:10 am 

ToyGuy wrote:
jrb1449 wrote:
Does anyone know what automtaic transmission came in the 70 MKII? I believe it to be a a30. But am not sure. Also does anyone know where I can get another torque converter?? I have looked online and the local parts houses don't sell them.

There is a PDF in this post:
http://www.toymods.net//forums/showthread.php?t=45016

That has information on automatic transmissions and fitment in older Toyota vehicles.

It is all in Japanese.
I hope that isn't too much of a problem...

Thanks! It is cool to look at but I can't read Japanese. My boy is full Japanese and speaks it fluently but cannot read or write it. Maybe his Moms can help me out with it. lol.

Thanks for trying to help. I really appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:51 am 

Nice stretch !

I have a question about that parts car...

would you mind selling me sheet metal off that car if its not rotted?
I could be picking up a 73 Corona for free thats rusty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:47 am 

I already sold both the 78 and 73 parts cars to picknpull. I tried posting them in the for sale section of this forum but one of the mods decided to delete my entire post as I used caps. He could have simply asked me to redo it but instead deleted it. I did not feel like typing it all over again so to the crusher they went. Sorry bro, I tried.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:16 pm 

Any body need the auto trans from the 73 donor car I had? Still shifts fine. I went 5spd and no longer need it. :wink:

Let me know.

Josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:33 am 

So after getting my new tires and lowering the car my rear fender decided to tear up one of my tires!!

So I rolled the fender lips IN but since the rear has a metal liner in it making it a two layer fender lip, I was retarded and cut little reliefs every couple of inches. BAD IDEA!!!

I then decided it looked so horrible I had to do something about it. I dont really like the looks of bolt on or riveted on flares so I decided to pull them back out and and mold them into flares.

Since I cut the relief notches I had to weld little peices of metal back in and hammer my fender lips OUT with a body hammer and dolly. (This took several hours) I also cut the inner metal fender liner back to clear my tires and tack welded it back into place up higher. I then ground it down and applied a couple thin layers of body filler. I still havent sanded them down yet as I am just going to wait until after I get some spacers for the front. Once I have them I can then pull (flare) the front fenders as well and will start doing all of my bodywork at one time.

I also had the car lower than you see in the pics. I used 2" blocks and the flares fit perfectly. Then I bought some coilover helper springs that bolt on via clamps to your stock shocks to try and stiffen up the rear and it ended up raising the rear of the car another inch or so. :( Good news is that the helper springs worked great. Bad new is I have to rework the rear suspension to get the rear a little bit lower.

I also got a new exhaust put on the car. It is 2" from the cat back to a resonator installed backwards to a 2 1/2" section of pipe then to a Y and two 3" chrome angle cut tips. Yes, it is loud and it pops but that is what I was looking for.

Here are a couple of more pics of it so far.

I seemed to have pushed the neighbors grass pile down the block on accident. A guy stopped me down the block and yelled "Hey, there is something stuck under your car!" And when I got out here is what I found...Whoops....

I am going to be looking into a front chin spoiler. Not sure yet which one I will use. my friend has a couple Datsun ones I could try. And more than anything I have been trying to find a set of the Aussie RT72/MarkII tail lights!!! I have been all over the net and still havent found them. If anyone is looking to sell them or trade for my stock ones HIT ME UP!!! :)

Josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:45 pm 

Maybe you could look into getting a mulching attachment, Or perhaps a clippings bag for your front lip?

Just kidding, I had to say it.

Seriously though, your car looks awesome!! Very glad to see a project like this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:05 pm 

This makes me want a MK2 pretty bad :tu:

Nice work.

-B.P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:26 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

sweet :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:47 am 

Thanks guys!

I have spent a lot of time working on this thing. After I come back from Japan in May I am going to start looking for a donor car for a swap.

7mgte, 302 v8, or rotary

I can get comeplete cars pretty cheap and that way I have most of the parts.

Folks have suggested the 18rg however I just can't bring myself to fork out the dough for what seems to be a small increase in power. Not to mention I like being different. Hence the Corona, not many people have them or do anything cool with them anyway.

I had a 90 Volvo 760 turbo wagon with a 92 5.0 swap. Here is a couple pics.

Here is a crappy youtube video I took. So you can hear it a little. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC7ZmJIzFRo

It was a blast!! It is just getting harder and harder to get things "smogged" anymore. I could only image that power and torque in a way smaller and lighter car!

The wagon had edelbrock aluminum heads, E cam, BBK stainless steel shorty headers, cobra intake manifold, dual chamber flows with turndowns, ice cold AC and a good old AOD trans. I would deffinatley go 5spd in the Corona.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:36 am 
JNC Enthusiast

www.lcengineering.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:13 am 

Boy do I love this car...I can't wait to see more of it. Thanks for sharing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:18 pm 

nice swap in the V. I like the 18RG because in this day and age, a running 18rg is actually rare. Mine is a daily driver. Just dont go putting in a H0nDa engine in it.... :cry:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next